Research & Development Centres
Our world-class R&D Centres are setting the global benchmark for evaluation of paper, board and packaging.
Our goal is not only to develop ‘know-how’ – it is to mobilise and contribute our wealth of expertise and make it accessible to our customers.
R&D Centre locations and areas of focus
Unique scientific insights are developed in four state of the art R&D facilities. These high end facilities are supported by local technical laboratories in places like Roermond, Epernay and Northampton to scale technical insights across all facilities.
Packaging R&D Centre Hoogeveen, the Netherlands
The Packaging R&D Centre is focused on:
- Understanding and improving packaging behaviour in the supply chain taking into consideration primary, packaging and pallet
- Advanced studies for Smurfit Kappa’s key customers to assure the packaging meets the specified requirements
Paper R&D Centre Piteå, Sweden
This laboratory specialises in product innovation and the development of new paper grades, and focuses on:
- Explore the relation between paper, printing inks and printing techniques
- Improving our print related paper properties
Product Safety Laboratory Facture, France
This laboratory is COFRAC accredited for product safety testing and focuses on:
- Defining policies to help all our operations to produce paper and packaging in compliance with product safety regulations
- The development of food compliant products
Bag-in-Box R&D Centre Epernay, France
This R&D Centre has over 40 years of experience of the spectrum of capabilities offered by Bag-in-Box solutions and is focusing on:
- Using state-of-the-art technology to assure films, taps and boxes meet the quality standards that Smurfit Kappa Bag-in-Box has adopted over the years and is demanded for EU and FDA approval for direct food contact
- Analyse and improve the current production and filling process
Want to know more?
Whether it's a visit to one of our R&D Centres to gain new knowledge or a quick chat with one of our experts, we would love to hear from you.