Smurfit Kappa has partnered with the Financial Times to conduct a brand new piece of research to answer some of the most pressing questions when it comes to sustainability.
In a world where sustainability is increasingly business critical, companies must be both meticulous and ambitious in measuring, disclosing and assuring their efforts.
About the research
The data in this report is based on a survey commissioned by Smurfit Kappa and conducted by FT Longitude between October and December 2022. It builds on our 2020 report, 'Sustainability reshapes the business landscape for good', with new questions and an expanded sample.
Respondents included 440 senior and executive business leaders from retail and consumer products industries, including fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) and e-commerce. All respondents have oversight of and/or responsibility for their organisation’s sustainability initiatives, and 25% hold C-suite roles. They were drawn from 11 major economies: Colombia, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain, UK and US. This enables us to analyse regional differences in how businesses are approaching transparency on sustainability – for instance, between Europe and the Americas.
In addition to the quantitative research, FT Longitude also carried out a series of in-depth interviews with:
- Simon Boas Hoffmeyer, Senior Director, Group Sustainability & ESG, Carlsberg Group
- Nina Hajikhanian, Director, DTC EMEA, Patagonia
- Amanda Calder-McLaren, Senior Director, Brand and Communications, The North Face
- Tim Orton, Chief Investment Officer, Aegon UK
- Claudia Campillo Velásquez, VP Corporate Affairs and General Secretary, Grupo Éxito
- Robert Eccles, Visiting Professor of Management Practice, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford
- Adrian Sen, Packaging Sustainability Innovation Manager, Colgate-Palmolive
- Mads Twomey-Madsen, VP Corporate Communications & Sustainability, Pandora
- Silvia Dávila, President of Latin America, Danone, and Co-Chair for The Consumer Goods Forum in Latin America
- Cathrine de Coninck-Lopez, Global Head of ESG, Invesco
- Ken Bowles, Chief Financial Officer, Smurfit Kappa
- Garrett Quinn, Chief Sustainability Officer, Smurfit Kappa
- Arco Berkenbosch, Vice President of Innovation and Development, Smurfit Kappa