Smurfit Kappa celebrates the dedication of its employees to local communities
Smurfit Kappa has launched its new ‘Our Open Community’ brochure, which provides an insight into the valuable corporate social responsibility (CSR) work carried out by its employees this year.
‘People’ is one of the five strategic pillars of the packaging leader’s global sustainability strategy along with forest, climate change, water and waste. Smurfit Kappa has developed strong relationships with people in local communities to build a sustainable future by investing in areas such as education, the environment, health and wellbeing and social inclusiveness projects.
Thousands of Smurfit Kappa’s global community of employees have given up time to volunteer on projects in their regions. Examples of successful initiatives they participated in this year include:
• The ‘Finishing High School’ education initiative in Argentina
• The creation of a space-themed room in a children’s hospital in Spain
• A conservation project to protect biodiversity in forests and plantations in Colombia
• Participation in a fun-run to raise funds for the homeless in Ireland
• The opening of a new community centre in Mexico
• A local area clean-up project in Russia
Speaking about the new brochure, Group CEO Tony Smurfit said: “At Smurfit Kappa, we recognise that good social citizenship is an essential part of building and maintaining a sustainable future.
“We are very proud of our employees who have donated their time, effort and expertise to make a real and lasting impact within their communities.”
Smurfit Kappa was awarded the gold Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) rating by EcoVadis, for the fifth successive year earlier this month.
Download the ‘Our Open Community’ brochure