Component "Landing Page Banner" has no content
Written by Emily Laughton-Hulatt | 7th March 2023
Chilled Packaging Solves Butcher’s Meat Packaging Problems
The Ginger Pig has blossomed into a burgeoning and hugely successful meat butchery business. Each of their nine shops in London, UK offers a wide range of delectable high-welfare, slow-reared meats, delicious cold cuts, and other mouth-watering, sustainably sourced delicacies including their renowned sausage rolls!
The Ginger Pig’s chilled packaging problem
Like many other businesses using chilled packaging boxes to send food products direct to their consumers' doors, their previous eCommerce shipping packaging wasn’t meeting their needs, resulting in disappointed customers due to damaged packaging and poor unboxing experiences.
Our team was able to combat these problems by creating a chilled packaging solution for The Ginger Pig that reduced product damage and offered more benefits.
Proof in the pudding
The Ginger Pig team were so impressed with the insulation packaging solutions we created for Mindful Chef that they approached our team to explore creating something similar to protect their fresh produce and ensure super-satisfied customers. The Ginger Pig recognised our passion and experience in helping small businesses during a period of growth.
So, they turned to our Smurfit Kappa Beacon packaging team for their extensive expertise and innovative ideas to create fit-for-purpose and on-brand packaging that mirrored the quality of their meaty product offerings and online business.
Chilled packaging for cold food, meats and more
Our bespoke chilled packaging solution for The Ginger Pig boasts a whole host of benefits for the brand, including:
- Reduced product damage - the newly sized boxes were fit-for-purpose and correctly sized, leading to better customer experiences, lower returns, and a higher likelihood of repeat purchases.
- Improved unboxing experience - when we reviewed their packaging, we recommended they switch to gel packs as the ice packs previously used were impacting the internal liners and compromising the integrity of their packaging. The gel packs meant no more unsatisfactory and soggy unboxing experiences for The Ginger Pig customers.
- Reduced costs - the introduction of self-seal tape replaced the previously labour-intensive taped base and hand-glued finishing, reducing the time needed to erect the boxes. The new packaging reduced the time it takes to pick, wrap, pack, and ship their products. Plus, the new solution resulted in decreased DPD postal subscription rates per year.
- Increased sustainability credentials - our bespoke chilled packaging removed the need for non-recyclable wool insulation whilst maintaining the required temperature of the boxes. Plus, smaller boxes mean more boxes per pallet, reducing CO2 emissions and the brand’s wider carbon footprint.
- Increased storage space - by no longer needing to store the wool insulation in their warehouse, they could reclaim up to 30% of their racking for additional storage space.
Meat-ing The Ginger Pig’s expectations
The new eco friendly chilled packaging was the result of our packaging experts assessing the unique needs of this brand and how the products fared as they travelled through the supply chain. We devised a corrugated solution, utilising new pack styles that featured a tamper-evident pack with self-seal tape and zipper rule openings for improved security and efficiency.
Lynsey Coughlan, Operations Director at The Ginger Pig, reflects, “The team at Smurfit Kappa were able to take the problems we were facing and provide truly effective solutions. Our new cold delivery packaging adds value in so many different ways, not only for the business but most importantly to our customers."
Streamlining farm-to-fork and everything in between
At Smurfit Kappa, we understand how important it is for you to provide your customers with a unique and positive unboxing experience. That’s why we’ve applied proven methods to find the ideal packaging solutions for all our client’s requirements.
We’re proud to have provided The Ginger Pig with exceptional chilled packaging cardboard boxes that will guarantee they stand out against the competition, build their brand collateral, and provide a superior unboxing experience. The new packaging has made their whole packing process faster, more efficient, and more cost-effective.
To find out more about how we can boost your brand by creating compelling, captivating, and convenient packaging for your products, get in touch today using the form below.
Have a chilled packaging or any other project you'd like us to help with?
Whether you have a clear requirement or just the sparks of an idea. We're here to help.