Smurfit Kappa nominated for seven awards at PPI 2012
14 September 2012
Nominations demonstrate ongoing commitment to sustainability & innovation
Smurfit Kappa Group plc (“SKG” or the “Group”), one of the world’s largest integrated manufacturers of paper-based packaging products, with operations in Europe and Latin America, has received seven nominations across five categories at the 2012 Pulp & Paper International (‘PPI’) Awards.
Gary McGann, Group Chief Executive Officer commented: “I would like to congratulate all Smurfit Kappa nominees in this year’s PPI awards. These nominations demonstrate the Group’s ongoing commitment to providing innovative packaging solutions for our customers and our ability to do so in a sustainable manner. The nominations are evidence of the experience and expertise of SKG’s 38,000 employees and to the culture of sustainability that is promoted across our operations.”
Launched in 2009, the PPI Awards are the only global awards dedicated to recognizing the achievements of companies, mills and individuals in the pulp and paper sector. This year’s winners will be announced at a gala dinner on 12 November in Brussels.
Smurfit Kappa’s nominations, as listed below, reinforce the Group’s position as a leading player in the global packaging sector:
Award | Advances in Innovation in Specialty Papers
- Smurfit Kappa Europe developed a recycled, high-performance fluting portfolio. The portfolio ranges from HP1 to HP3 and covers a broad spectrum of strength levels.
Award | Advances in Innovation in Sustainable Packaging
- Smurfit Kappa’s Eco Tray, represents a new packaging solution for the fruit and vegetable market. Eco Tray is a corrugated board thermo formed tray and is a paper based alternative to traditional polystyrene and plastic trays.
- Smurfit Kappa’s Pack Salad is designed to pack salads and was developed in conjunction with Smurfit Kappa’s customer Quick. The product was developed in accordance with Quick’s policy to use biodegradable and compostable packaging.
Award | Environmental Award
- Smurfit Kappa Comptoir du Pin in France has successfully introduced the use of tree stumps for the new biomass boiler located in the Facture paper mill. This raw material was up to now an untapped resource.
- Smurfit Kappa Roermond Papier in the Netherlands was nominated for its environmental strategy of the last 25 years, and demonstrating that sustainability is a key element of the mill’s business strategy.
Award | Managing Risk and Safety
- Smurfit Kappa Coronel Suarez, Argentina put a Health & Safety Management System in place, applied its concepts to Environmental and Operational areas and developed related information management tools. As a result of these innovative steps “Operation Reliability” is now a reality.
Award | Promotional Campaign
- The ‘Be part of Birmingham's Paper Chain’ project was run by Smurfit Kappa Recycling in the UK. The aim of the campaign was to raise public awareness and improve the paper recycling rates in Birmingham, UK.